Thread: Apache Web Server Port - What # do I use?

Rotown is offline Junior Member

Default Apache Web Server Port - What # do I use?

Hey, hope someone can help me.

Downloaded FastStack Windows Installer for 5.2.0c with MySQL via the Download Wizard. After opening the installation icon on my desktop I go through the various steps however keep getting stumped on the following request:

Please enter the port the bundled Apache Server will listen to by default.

Apache Web Server port (then in a separate field the number) 80

When I press NEXT here I get the following message pop-up:

Unable to bind the given port number. Please select another one.

I am totally unaware as to what number to use, does anyone know what to use or where I can find it on my laptop?

Cheers,

Roland

andopes is offline A Sugar Hero | Help Forum Moderator

Default Re: Apache Web Server Port - What # do I use?

Check if the port 80 is being used by another application like IIS.

Cheers
    André Lopes
    DevToolKit / Project of the Month - June 2009
    Lampada Global Services- Open Source Solutions
    Avenida Ipiranga, 318
    Bloco B - CJ 1602
    São Paulo, SP 01046-010
    Brazil
    Office: +55 11 3237-3110
    Mobile: +55 11 7636-5859
    e-mail: andre@lampadaglobal.com

Lampada Global delivers offshore software development and support services to customers around the world.
    Lampada is proud to be a SugarCRM Gold Partner, revolutionizing Customer Relationship Management.

I DO NOT answer questions through PM and Email. If you need some help post your question into SugarForum.

stevec is offline Sugar Community Member

Hi,

During the installation, you are setting up the apache web server. The port number it is requesting is the TCP networking port that apache will listen to waiting for connections. The default is normally 80. This means that if someone accesses your sugarcrm installation when it's completed, they'll get to it by entering in the URL http://yourlaptop/sugarcrm

If you use a non-default port, eg, 1080, then they'll have to connect via http://yourlaptop:1080/sugarcrm (you don't need to give the port number if it's 80 as that's the assumed default).

Different ports on a network address have different programs listening on them. Standard ones are:

80 web server
    25 email server
    119 time sync
    442 secured web server
    3306 mysql database server

Anyway - what your error means - probably - is that it can't set up the laptop's networking system to direct connections to port 80 for the new installation of the apache web server because there is already another program that's been installed and is listening on that port.

So I would guess that you've previously set up another webserver on your laptop (IIS or apache) either individually or as part of another webserver-based bundle installation. A good way to check is to go to the comand line prompt and enter the command:

netstat -o -n -a

You'll get a long list of numbers. look for the entry under "local address" for either 0.0.0.0:80 or 127.0.0.1:80 When you've found that - note the number to the right, under "PID". This is the process ID of the process listening on port 80.

Next , start up the task manager (<CTRL><ALT><DEL> - and pick task manager. Go to the 'process' tab, select the 'view' menu and 'select columns...'. Make sure 'PID' is selected and then find the process name that's associated with that PID (bit long winded I know - but it's the most accurate way of finding what's in the way).

Then, depending on what you have installed, you can decide whether to remove the previous bit of software, or to set up sugar with apache listening on a non-standard port.

Steve

Rotown is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by andopes View Post
    Check if the port 80 is being used by another application like IIS.

Cheers
    Thanks for your reply. What is IIS???

BigDummy is offline Junior Member

I found that Skype was using Port 80. I turned off Skype's access through Port 80 through the Tools menu, selecting Options. Then Selected Advanced - Connection. Now uncheck "Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives..."

So far, no ill effects for Apache or Skype.

sanjaykatiyar1 is offline Sugar Community Member

Usually Skype use some higher port like 23999 (and we can change that) but some how in your case it was using 80 which is generally used by Apache or IIS ( Webservers).
    Sanjay Katiyar
    iPhone and Android solutions http://www.apptility.com

Hardwares Guest

I just came across this forum and it is looking very nice and informative same time.

sukieboy is offline Junior Member

I have tried without success to access my SugarCRM over my office LAN. I downloaded sugarcrm-CE-5.2.0e-windows-installer and ran it on my win XP PC as a server and then logged in as an admin. The application was working well on the winXP it was installed, then I went over to another PC on the LAN and tried to access it using http:serverName/sugracrm. It did not connect. I did a ping test and there was connection.

please what could be the case here. Is it that I didn't install it well because I just followed the wizard to install the software.

sanjaykatiyar1 is offline Sugar Community Member

Check the config.php file for 'site_url' .
    Is this same you are typing in the browser?
    Sanjay Katiyar
    iPhone and Android solutions http://www.apptility.com

Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    Hi,

During the installation, you are setting up the apache web server. The port number it is requesting is the TCP networking port that apache will listen to waiting for connections. The default is normally 80. This means that if someone accesses your sugarcrm installation when it's completed, they'll get to it by entering in the URL http://yourlaptop/sugarcrm

If you use a non-default port, eg, 1080, then they'll have to connect via http://yourlaptop:1080/sugarcrm (you don't need to give the port number if it's 80 as that's the assumed default).

Different ports on a network address have different programs listening on them. Standard ones are:

80 web server
    25 email server
    119 time sync
    442 secured web server
    3306 mysql database server

Anyway - what your error means - probably - is that it can't set up the laptop's networking system to direct connections to port 80 for the new installation of the apache web server because there is already another program that's been installed and is listening on that port.

So I would guess that you've previously set up another webserver on your laptop (IIS or apache) either individually or as part of another webserver-based bundle installation. A good way to check is to go to the comand line prompt and enter the command:

netstat -o -n -a

You'll get a long list of numbers. look for the entry under "local address" for either 0.0.0.0:80 or 127.0.0.1:80 When you've found that - note the number to the right, under "PID". This is the process ID of the process listening on port 80.

Next , start up the task manager (<CTRL><ALT><DEL> - and pick task manager. Go to the 'process' tab, select the 'view' menu and 'select columns...'. Make sure 'PID' is selected and then find the process name that's associated with that PID (bit long winded I know - but it's the most accurate way of finding what's in the way).

Then, depending on what you have installed, you can decide whether to remove the previous bit of software, or to set up sugar with apache listening on a non-standard port.

Steve
    This was useful for us however we have checked the PID and only the apache web server is running on port 80.

we have installed it on port 81 for the time being.

does anyone have any other ideas as to why we cannot bind to port 80?

Thread Information