Thread: Data Migration issue

shailendra001 is offline A Prolific Poster

Question Data Migration issue

Hi All !
    I am trying to migrate data from one installation to another installation of SugarCRM,
    for migration i have been following these steps
    1) I have export all record form one installation and saved on local system as .csv file
    2) through import option i have imported records in various module .

But i am having Documents(1000) , how can i migrate those document from one installation to another installation ? There is no import option for documents .
    Is there any other method for data Migration from one instance to other ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks and Regards
    Shailendra
    Last edited by shailendra001; 2009-01-08 at 12:12 PM.

Angel is offline Sugar Community Member

Default Re: Data Migration issue

A simpler approach would be to copy your /htdocs/sugarcrm folder from server 1 to server 2, along with your MySQL database (via SQL dump or other method).

That would include your attachments and everything else. Lastly, you'd have to change the config.php file on server 2 to point Sugar to the SQL server used by server 2 instead of server 1.
    Regards,

Angel Magaņa
    Technical Solutions Architect
    Co-Author: Implementing SugarCRM 5.x (Packt Publishing -- Sept. 2010)
    Blog: http://cheleguanaco.blogspot.com.
    Twitter: @cheleguanaco.

masonhu is offline Sugar Team Member

I agree with Angel.

You can use DB tools to export/import your orignal DB to the new DB server, and then install Sugar on a dummy DB, finally change the DB name in config.php to point to the correct DB.

The document is stored in upload_dir where by default is cache/upload with revision id in DB as their file name. You can check the config.php to see where is your upload dir. You also need to copy these files into new Sugar instance.

That is the most easy and quick way.

Another approach is using some ETL data migration tool. Such as Talend an open source tool. http://www.talend.com/products-data-...pen-studio.php
    However, use ETL tools may be time consuming and need to learn some addtional knowledge to achieve your goal. Not recommanded.
    Last edited by masonhu; 2009-01-12 at 06:24 AM.

shailendra001 is offline A Prolific Poster

Exclamation Re: Data Migration issue

Hi all !
    I have been working on data migration from one instance to another instance of SugarCRM 5.2a ,
    I have migrated data through mysql dump --- and i have copyed /cache/upload directory from one instance to another instance -- everything is working fine except documnets and attachment
    1) i am not able to fech my documents from server
    some are corropted and some are blanck , like pdf file is blank on new server

Please show some path to get the solution of this issue

Regards
    Shailendra

cypsugar Guest

Hi There,
    I would like to know what is the best way of migrating data,relationships,documents onto new version sugar on the new server ?

The best (and easiest) way of moving an install from one server to another is to take the SugarCRM directory from server A and simply copy it server B. As for the database, back it up on server A and restore it on server B.

The documents are stored within the SugarCRM directory, and all customizations are stored in a combination of files within the directory and the database, including relationships. Here are some additional notes of importance on the matter: Angel's Blog: SugarCRM Server Migrations Demystified
    Regards,

Angel Magaņa

cypsugar Guest

Thank you so much for your reply,
    the old sugarcrm instance is totally different field names compare to new system so there is some fields are new and most with different fields for the same ... so in this scenario dont know how to transfer the data including all the related records to the accounts... anything that i need to be careful of ? i totally understand about the files in upload folder and custom and cache folder thats not an issue

Thanks so much

This sounds more like you would be migrating from one instance to another, versus simply swapping the server on which it is hosted. I don't understand the reasons why you are doing this, but this will be much more complicated than simply copying the folder and database.

You will most likely need to use something like Talend to transfer the data from the old database to the new one and then use the Repair & Rebuild process in Sugar to help align the database with the program files. I can't stress enough the point from my blog post, these type of operations require some intimate knowledge of how Sugar works and its database structure. Also, there aren't any documents to lean on that will walk you through this process, so you will be on your own for the most part.
    Regards,

Angel Magaņa

peeterm is offline Junior Member

I agree with Angel. Making what you are planning to is real science and don't do this.
    Just make copy of installation like mentioned before or use Talend. If you decide to use Talend then better to get Sugar CRM Advanced component for Talend. It supports new API versions helps you work aslo with relations. You can find it here: Sugar CRM Talend component | Cloudbee Integrations

Peeter

Ksenia K Guest

I know the thread is a bit old, but I think that today the easiest way to move data from one instance to another would be via an automated data migration service Migration to SugarCRM. Import From Any CRM. From Salesforce, Zoho, Highrise | Import2

Thread Information