Thread: Email password not being saved correctly

desh is offline Junior Member

Default Email password not being saved correctly

Hello,

I am having trouble configuring my Outgoing Mail Configuration. I am trying to setup an SMTP mail server. When I initially enter my password, I am able to send a test email with no problem at all. However, when I have the password and try sending a test email, I get a password error (in the sugarcrm log). When I click "Change Password" and type in the same password again, it works. Then when I save it, once again it does not work.

It appears that the password is not being saved correctly. Any assistance or suggestions to try to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Suhas.

Angel is offline Sugar Community Member

Default Re: Email password not being saved correctly

There appears to be a bug in Sugar pertaining to the Email Settings page in the Admin control panel which may be affecting you. As far as I can tell, just about every version of Sugar from 6.4 to 5.5 have the same problem.

Anyway, the issue at hand is that it URL decodes some characters before it saves the value. In my case, I stumbled upon the problem because the user name included a "+" symbol. It refused to authenticate although everything was correct. Deeper investigation of the problem revealed that Sugar was saving the "+" as a " " (space). Thus, when it attempted to login to the SMTP server, the login information was indeed wrong because it wasn't sending the "+" symbol. I was fortunate that I could replace the "+" with a "@" but it is something worth looking at if you are using non-alphanumeric values in the user or password portion. It is possible it does the same for other characters.
    Regards,

Angel Magaña
    Technical Solutions Architect
    Co-Author: Implementing SugarCRM 5.x (Packt Publishing -- Sept. 2010)
    Blog: http://cheleguanaco.blogspot.com.
    Twitter: @cheleguanaco.

desh is offline Junior Member

Thank you very much Angel. I have used all alphas, and now I tried just using numerics with no luck.

I will try using some special characters to see if these do save correctly.

Cheers,

Suhas.

Ramblin is offline Sugar Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by desh View Post
    Thank you very much Angel. I have used all alphas, and now I tried just using numerics with no luck.

I will try using some special characters to see if these do save correctly.

Cheers,

Suhas.
    Did you ever get this issue resolved?

I am having the same issue now

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    There appears to be a bug in Sugar pertaining to the Email Settings page in the Admin control panel which may be affecting you. As far as I can tell, just about every version of Sugar from 6.4 to 5.5 have the same problem.

Anyway, the issue at hand is that it URL decodes some characters before it saves the value. In my case, I stumbled upon the problem because the user name included a "+" symbol. It refused to authenticate although everything was correct. Deeper investigation of the problem revealed that Sugar was saving the "+" as a " " (space). Thus, when it attempted to login to the SMTP server, the login information was indeed wrong because it wasn't sending the "+" symbol. I was fortunate that I could replace the "+" with a "@" but it is something worth looking at if you are using non-alphanumeric values in the user or password portion. It is possible it does the same for other characters.
    Is there any chance this bug (how Sugar filters email address passwords) has other issues?

I am having the exact ssame symptom:
    - Can go in and enter email passwords and send test email succesfully
    - when save settings and then try to terst again, error

My email is viua Mailjet and they auto-generate a long UserID and Password string (32 characters, all alpha numeric).

Is there any chance I have exceeded the character count maximum for the UserID or Password for the emails?

R

adam.brunette Guest

Was there any solution to this? I am having the same issue with CE 6.5.11. When I enter the password and test, everything is fine. Once it is saved, it does not work any more.

Is there any work around that can be implemented?

-Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam.brunette View Post
    Was there any solution to this?
    -Adam
    Yes,
    In my case it was an erroneous entry in MySQL that had the system looking to the wrong place for the information

See
    System Email works when initailly enter and test then fails after save

Alex Bucol Guest

Hello Team,

I'm new to this and having the same kind of issue.
    We subscribed at sugarondemand.com (CRM URL https://firstcarbon.sugarondemand.com).

Is there a way I can fix this via the CRM admin portal?

SimonOBeirne is offline Sugar Community Member

We have a similar issue with ampersand (&) characters in passwords, which I suspect is related.

Found this bug item, looks like it might be fixed pending release?

bugs.sugarcrm.com/?bug_number=48262

ppsugar Guest

Hello,
    We have the same issue, that is when I click "Change Password" and type in a password, it works. Then when I save it, it does not work.
    But then Sugar IS able to send emails. For example, if I reset a user's password, he receives the auto-generated password by emails. If I go in user management, choose a user, click on the user's email address to send a quick email, it works.

The bug I guess is only within the admin panel

Thread Information