Thread: Rebrand

hanghuison is offline Junior Member

Default Rebrand

Hello,

I wish to use sugar community version as template to build new crm application and host it as a service to sell it to customers. Am i need to include 1) "sugarCRM" name and logo in the system? 2)or in promoting tools use to promote the crm that i have develop?

thanks.

clint is offline SugarCRM CTO & Co-founder

Default Re: Rebrand

Hi there -

Take a look at the Trademark Info page for how you can use the SugarCRM trademark.
    http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/trademark-information.html

Also, note that the "Powered By SugarCRM" logo must be kept in the application user interface. Look at the "About" page within the application for more details there.

Best,
    Clint
    Sugar Developer Zone - developer resources | Sugar University - user and admin training
    Sugar Docs - user and admin documentation |
    Sugar Bug Tracker - Enter or view bugs
    SugarForge- open source modules, themes, lang packs | SugarExchange - commercial extensions

Clint Oram
    Chief Technology Officer and Co-founder
    SugarCRM

kretA is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    I have a similar questions applied to the Community version only!
    1. Assume I will combine several open source applications, do I need to preserve "Powered by SugarCRM .."
    or I can just refer to SugarCrm like vTagerCRM did?
    2. In the event that my application will have pages developed from the scratch, do I have to insert "Powered by SugarCrm" note? How would I explain it to my customers if I do. From the SugarCRM license, I can read that SugarCRM does not provide WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
    3. Assume that from the very beginning SugarCRM will be used as a primary service but eventually the project will significuntly overcome the Community version SugarCRM functionality, do I have to keep the "Powered by SugarCRM"? If I have to, it would not agree to the OpenSource philosophy or even copyright policies.

Hope to hear your precise answers.

Quote Originally Posted by kretA View Post
    Hi,
    I have a similar questions applied to the Community version only!
    1. Assume I will combine several open source applications, do I need to preserve "Powered by SugarCRM .."
    or I can just refer to SugarCrm like vTagerCRM did?
    2. In the event that my application will have pages developed from the scratch, do I have to insert "Powered by SugarCrm" note? How would I explain it to my customers if I do. From the SugarCRM license, I can read that SugarCRM does not provide WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
    3. Assume that from the very beginning SugarCRM will be used as a primary service but eventually the project will significuntly overcome the Community version SugarCRM functionality, do I have to keep the "Powered by SugarCRM"? If I have to, it would not agree to the OpenSource philosophy or even copyright policies.

Hope to hear your precise answers.
    vTiger was a fork of Sugar version 1.5 from six years ago when the open source edition of Sugar under the SPL v1.0 license. Sugar Community Edition is now licensed under the AGPLv3 open source license which requires that you keep the copyright notices in place.

You will see the following text from the About page in the Sugar Community Edition as to exactly what the AGPL license requires you to do.

The Program is provided AS IS, without warranty. Licensed under AGPLv3.
    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License version 3 as published by the Free Software Foundation, including the additional permission set forth in the source code header.
    The interactive user interfaces in modified source and object code versions of this program must display Appropriate Legal Notices, as required under Section 5 of the GNU Affero General Public License version 3. In accordance with Section 7(b) of the GNU General Public License version 3, these Appropriate Legal Notices must retain the display of the "Powered by SugarCRM" logo. If the display of the logo is not reasonably feasible for technical reasons, the Appropriate Legal Notices must display the words "Powered by SugarCRM".

SugarCRM ®, Sugar Community Edition™ and Sugar™ are trademarks of SugarCRM Inc.
    Sugar Developer Zone - developer resources | Sugar University - user and admin training
    SugarForge- open source modules, themes, lang packs | SugarExchange - commercial extensions

Clint Oram
    SugarCRM

kretA is offline Junior Member

Tnank you Clint for reply.

Your answer well emphasizes the key points but yet, please clarify one item.
    I have been searching similar posts in the open source, still in confusion, and find that your answer avoids answering on the question:
    1.Do I have to use “Powered by SugarCRM” if I plan to use a database only?

As I understand Open Source is to encourage developers to work with code. Perhaps one day I might contribute to Sugar. Still however, I do not see a reason why I have to bound myself with some restrictions witch I do not understand how to treat. Moreover, my clients will also be puzzled by reading licenses unless I guarantee them my support.

2. Finally, I intent to use Community Sugar CRM 5.5, it is under GPL license, you might direct me on if I have more freedom as a developer comparatively to AGPL license.

Best Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by kretA View Post
    Tnank you Clint for reply.

Your answer well emphasizes the key points but yet, please clarify one item.
    I have been searching similar posts in the open source, still in confusion, and find that your answer avoids answering on the question:
    1.Do I have to use “Powered by SugarCRM” if I plan to use a database only?

As I understand Open Source is to encourage developers to work with code. Perhaps one day I might contribute to Sugar. Still however, I do not see a reason why I have to bound myself with some restrictions witch I do not understand how to treat. Moreover, my clients will also be puzzled by reading licenses unless I guarantee them my support.

2. Finally, I intent to use Community Sugar CRM 5.5, it is under GPL license, you might direct me on if I have more freedom as a developer comparatively to AGPL license.

Best Regards.
    Hi there -

You must keep the "Powered by SugarCRM" logo in place if you use the SugarCRM user interface where that logo already exists. If you are connecting to the Sugar database via REST or SOAP and are using entirely new UI that you have built, then you do not need to add the "Powered by SugarCRM" logo. At that point, your new UI is not a derived work because it is not using SugarCRM PHP libraries and is communicating via distinct API's (REST or SOAP).

For the sake of this discussion, the AGPLv3 and the GPLv3 are exactly the same.

Clint

Clint Oram
    SugarCRM

guigui is offline Sugar Community Member

Hi,
    I just want to clarify the requirements for the footer of each page:
    do we have to keep:
    Code:
    The Program is provided AS IS, without warranty. Licensed under AGPLv3.
    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License version 3 as published by the Free Software Foundation, including the additional permission set forth in the source code header.
    OR can we just display the powered by Sugarcrm logo along with Licensed under AGPLv3 with a link to the license info?
    I just think it's weird to show the user: the program is provided without warranty or this program is free software. Also if the logo and AGPLv3 link are the only requirements, why do we get a message when we try to adjust the footer template??
    thanks in advance

Rp_tsoft Guest

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Hi there -

You must keep the "Powered by SugarCRM" logo in place if you use the SugarCRM user interface where that logo already exists. If you are connecting to the Sugar database via REST or SOAP and are using entirely new UI that you have built, then you do not need to add the "Powered by SugarCRM" logo. At that point, your new UI is not a derived work because it is not using SugarCRM PHP libraries and is communicating via distinct API's (REST or SOAP).

Clint
    If I use a different UI but use SugarCRM PHP libraries, do I still have to use "Powered by SugarCRM" logo ?

Yaletown is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rp_tsoft View Post
    If I use a different UI but use SugarCRM PHP libraries, do I still have to use "Powered by SugarCRM" logo ?
    It's GPL 3 code - use any of it and you have to follow the full set of rules.

Thread Information