Thread: Forcing a next contact Date

JDSkinner82 Guest

Default Forcing a next contact Date

Hi,

I am moving from a bespoke CRM to sugar to help improve the marketing capabilities of our business.

However I am really struggling to enforce a next contact date and wandered if anyone has found a solution to my problem, which is as follows

When a call is scheduled for the future it appears in activities, then once that call is done (Held) I want the ability to be able to enter a next contact date which creates a new call for that date in the future. This needs to be a required field so the users can't log a call but not record a next follow up.

I've tried using a workflow but I cannot user the customer field I added to create the next call date.

I've also tried using a custom field of 'follow up in' and a drop down of 'X days', where X is added to the trigger date.... this works assuming the users doesn't then edit the call. If they do then the call created by the workflow re-creates another follow up, effectively recording 2 (poor more) followups

Any ideas would be greatly apreciated

Thanks

Jon

crmonline is offline Sugar Community Member

Default Re: Forcing a next contact Date

Hi Jon,

This is a common issue - it's actually part of our standard module/workflows that we implement in each and every CRM we implement (we refer to this as a CRM Accelerator). The real business problem here is "how do we identify when a next activity date hasn't been set for a contact or lead?". This obviously indicates an issue that needs to be addressed either by the user or management to ensure that a next action is set.

The key here is to create a compulsory next followup date field in the parent module (lead, contact, account etc), then add a logic hook that updates this next contact date from the logging/planning of activities against that lead/contact etc. This creates the expectation that an active lead/contact etc should always have a next action date today or in the future - if this isn't the case, this can be identified in reporting/dashlets as an exception report and can then be actioned.

We have a video of the approach that we recommend to address this at:

CRM Online | Integrated Cloud CRM & Business Analytics for Australia
    --
    Best Regards,
    Glenn Richmond

T: +61 8 9415 1366 F: +61 8 9415 1367
    CRM Online Australia Pty Ltd
    www.crmonline.com.au
    Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/crmonlineaus
    Latest News on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/company/crm-...tralia-pty-ltd
    Videos on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CRMOnlineAPAC
    Google+: https://plus.google.com/111091722813314463806/posts

salesagility is offline Sugar Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDSkinner82 View Post
    Hi,

I am moving from a bespoke CRM to sugar to help improve the marketing capabilities of our business.

However I am really struggling to enforce a next contact date and wandered if anyone has found a solution to my problem, which is as follows

When a call is scheduled for the future it appears in activities, then once that call is done (Held) I want the ability to be able to enter a next contact date which creates a new call for that date in the future. This needs to be a required field so the users can't log a call but not record a next follow up.

I've tried using a workflow but I cannot user the customer field I added to create the next call date.

I've also tried using a custom field of 'follow up in' and a drop down of 'X days', where X is added to the trigger date.... this works assuming the users doesn't then edit the call. If they do then the call created by the workflow re-creates another follow up, effectively recording 2 (poor more) followups

Any ideas would be greatly apreciated

Thanks

Jon
    I guess that if you have an absolute rule that says that no call is a final call, or that every call must have a follow up then your business logic would work. But when my client calls me and imparts some information that needs to be recorded but does not require a follow up .. let's say it's some market information that ought to be useful to me and to my colleagues. So, in this case what do I do? Here are the options:

1. Create the call and leave it open .. not very smart
    2. Create it as a note related to the Contact - presumably noting in the note that it was a call - mmm - I thought Log Calls was supposed to log calls

But I can't create it as a Closed Call if it mandates a follow-up - there is no follow-up.

Be careful how you craft hard coded business rules. Many are good and sensible. This one is only good in very specific circumstances/usages of CRM.
    The Open Source Awards are back For 2014

Check out the open source awards at opensourceawards.org

Committed to Open Source

SalesAgility - SugarCRM Community Edition Experts

Authors of:

Advanced Open Sales - Quotations, Invoices, Products, PDF Templates and Contracts modules for SugarCRM Community Edition
    Advanced Open Workflow - Workflow for SugarCRM Community Edition
    Advanced Open Events - Events module for SugarCRM Community Edition
    Advanced Open Portal - Portal for SugarCRM Community Edition
    Suite CRM - SugarCRM supercharged!!

JDSkinner82 Guest

Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking about it and our current system DOESN'T force the date so what we'd like to achieve but what our bespoke one did was have it in one fluid process

1. Log call and click finish
    2. Pop up appears with next follow up date
    3. If a new date gets entered then this is recorded as the next follow up, if not then the next follow up (if there is one) stays as is

We're using the hosted Professional version but don't currently have any PHP developers in-house so everything we're trying to do is via the studio.

Still a bit stumped :S

salesagility is offline Sugar Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDSkinner82 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking about it and our current system DOESN'T force the date so what we'd like to achieve but what our bespoke one did was have it in one fluid process

1. Log call and click finish
    2. Pop up appears with next follow up date
    3. If a new date gets entered then this is recorded as the next follow up, if not then the next follow up (if there is one) stays as is

We're using the hosted Professional version but don't currently have any PHP developers in-house so everything we're trying to do is via the studio.

Still a bit stumped :S
    Use the "Close and Create New" function on call/meeting :-) .. no code required
    The Open Source Awards are back For 2014

Check out the open source awards at opensourceawards.org

Committed to Open Source

SalesAgility - SugarCRM Community Edition Experts

Authors of:

Advanced Open Sales - Quotations, Invoices, Products, PDF Templates and Contracts modules for SugarCRM Community Edition
    Advanced Open Workflow - Workflow for SugarCRM Community Edition
    Advanced Open Events - Events module for SugarCRM Community Edition
    Advanced Open Portal - Portal for SugarCRM Community Edition
    Suite CRM - SugarCRM supercharged!!

JDSkinner82 Guest

Thanks, I tried Close and create new that but it seems that the info is duplicated into the new call and so has to be deleted or typed over.

Looking at the options I have that might be the only way, just really not sure why it copies everything across.

Thread Information