Thread: Dazed and Confused with the Leads, Contacts, Opportunities and Accounts process

Mirdamadi Guest

Question Dazed and Confused with the Leads, Contacts, Opportunities and Accounts process

I could really use some help sifting through some of the challenges I've been having with customizing or at least understanding how to create a good foundation for our SugarCRM system.

My challenge is minimizing the number of steps my reps need to make in order to make this effective.
    I'm confused between how to go about using; Leads, Contacts, Opportunities and Accounts.

We provide marketing services to the insurance, mortgage and real estate industries. My reps will do their own prospecting online, and what I did was dumb down the required information to fill out a "lead" so that they can quickly enter the basic information for any calls they make. From there if the cold call becomes a discussion, I'm thinking about having them move them to contacts, and if it becomes an opportunity where we have a set time to sell them, I want them to convert it to an opportunity.

The problem I have is how "account" plays into all of this. Our tech team, and customer service teams use Kayako for customer service management software and so once a lead becomes a client, all I need in SugarCRM is a field that show's this person is now a customer. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong?! I'm stupendously lost in making this effective because any manager knows that once you have thousands of names in a database that wasn't set up properly, it can become a royal disaster sifting through it and straightening it out after the fact.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Qrm Guest

Default Re: Dazed and Confused with the Leads, Contacts, Opportunities and Accounts process

I have this same question... hoping someone can help me gain clarity on the "best practices" if most of these tabs are optional, thanks.

AliciaGeli Guest

Default Re: Dazed and Confused with the Leads, Contacts, Opportunities and Accounts process

I am also searching for similar information.My business is also related to real estate.Buy My House | Sell My House Fast For Cash

founders@givingtrax.com Guest

I, too, am struggling with this. My marketing staff put leads under contacts. Is there anyway to move them to "leads" ? We're trying to decide if Sugar will be useful or just too darn complicated and are considering replacing it with pipedrive. We've licensed sugar for 8 months now and still have no ability to use it.

jang430@gmail.com Guest

This is how we use it, yours may vary:

Lead- any actionable data we get, such as a calling card we pick up from the road, or from any fishbowl (what's important is a name and contact number or email). We input this to the system so that people can mine off them. Meaning, even if you haven't given him a call yet, put it into the system as lead. The reason we do this is we can usually hire someone over to gather more data to complete the lead information. Then, when the lead is complete, we can assign the lead to sales who can start calling them to probe for opportunities.

Contacts- These can be people you have called already from the leads, you already know the name, position, and would like to call once again at a later time to follow-up for opportunities. There can be multiple contacts within an account, such as a purchasing department contact, and another IT manager as a contact. Sales have to cover them both to ensure closing a deal.

Opportunities- People/ Companies you've called that has a project you can work upon, usually you will have to put in an accoung (company) or contact person (whom you talk to about the project)

Account- A Company that has ordered from you, or about to order from you, or any company you'd like to cover from now on. Although they may not have ordered from you yet, but you see potential.

Usually when we see an opportunity, we immediately create an account first (so that sales will cover them from then on), create a contact that is associated to the account (so that when a salesperson resigns, another replacement will know whom to call within the account) and create the opportunity that was found within the account or company

Thread Information