Thread: GMail IMAP setup & test

johnswolter is offline Sugar Community Member

Default GMail IMAP setup & test

I am running 4.5.1h which I will continue to use while 5.0 GA is being tested with users. I am not sure what behavior I should be seeing after the account is setup. The crontab is configured for 1 minute polling, a group inbox is setup, and the scheduler is running I believe. There are 8 E-Mails sitting in the GMail Inbox from before I activated the group inbox but I have not seen anything show up in the group inbox except when I go to the group inbox and click [Check Mail].

The group inbox is setup under a separate Group user, "mygroup". When I look at Admin>Inbound EMails I see an Inbound EMail account named "personal.mygroup". Here are some questions...

Should sending an EMail to mygroup@gmail.com cause a copy to appear in the SugarCRM group Inbox?
    Should all the existing EMails load to SugarCRM?
    How should I observe the arrival of polled E-Mail from the scheduler?
    Will the Group Inbox at the top of the screen refresh automatically?
    Do I have to go over to the Group Inbox page and keep hitting [Check Mail]?

I have included below the software versions, the cron file line requested by the Admin->Inbound EMail configuration page, and the BASIC and ADVANCED Inbound EMail setup with obscured account information.

I have setup four users without any inbound EMail setup on the individual accounts. I have setup a group Inbound EMail setup as you can see below. The client machine uses Windows XP with SP2 running Firefox 2.0.0.11 to access the server described below. A dedicated GMail account, ...
    "Anon Y. Mous <anonymous@gmail.com>" ...
    which is configured for IMAP is the target.

......OS: SUSE LINUX PRO 9.3
    .....PHP: 5.0.3
    .mod_PHP: 5.0.3
    ...MySQL: 4.1.10a
    ..Apache: 2.0.53
    SugarCRM: 4.5.1h

Cron file line:
    * * * * * root cd <service-directory>/htdocs; ...
    ...php -f cron.php >> /var/log/cron_php.log

Incoming E-Mail setup from Admin screen:

BASIC SETUP

Name: MyInbox

.......Possible Actions: Create [Any]
    ........Assign To Group: mygroup
    ....Auto-Reply Template: None
    .......Reply Name/Email: Anon Y. Mous <anonymous@gmail.com> (System Default)
    No Auto-reply to Domain: none

ADVANCED SETUP

.Mail Server Address: imap.gmail.com
    ...........User Name: anonymous
    ....Monitored Folder: INBOX
    Mail Server Protocol: IMAP
    .............Use SSL: Yes.......Port:993
    .............Use TLS: No
    Validate Certificate: No

....Leave Messages On Server: Email left on server after import
    Import Only Since Last Check: No. Check against all emails on mail server.

sugarchris is offline Sugar Community Member

Default Re: GMail IMAP setup & test

Gmail is POP3-SSL - you have your protocol set to IMAP.

GMail has IMAP access, see...

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=75725

I setup the IMAP features in the GMail Settings. I tested the IMAP features by downloading Mozilla Thunderbird at this URL...

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/ and tested with it.

I setup Thunderbird to use IMAP to access the GMail account which it successfully did. I was able to browse the account view E-Mails and to copy them to Thunderbird while leaving the original on GMail.

Also note in the text of the above message I was able to _manually_ retrieve newly received GMail by clicking the [Check Mail] button on the Group E-Mail page.

Note:
    Those you who use Thunderbird, should know it may be spun off into its own foundation. Some are complaining about the separation. I think with all the changes in messaging, instant messaging, texting, voice mail, iPhone like devices, and all us of wanting a mobile features means some radical changes are needed in the E-Mail client area. As far as SugarCRM in this new Internet, it would need to separate content DOM from styling CSS and scripting to accommodate different accessibility, display, and printing devices.

jsahiri is offline Junior Member

Actually, I had a different experience altogether. Was able to download GMAIL messages having configured it for IMAP (SSL, port 993). But SMTP didn't work. Kept getting: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]. Unable to find socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured php? in phpmailer on line 104.

Obviously this can't make sense since ssl works for imap. Also, I uncomented the relevant extension in php.ini. It still didn't make a difference. I saw many other users raising the same issue. But they were having with both imap and smtp, while my case is only smtp.

I think external connections from SugarCRM need test, operational verification, and walk through diagnostics code. This will give much more debugging data. I think that attention is justified considering the large number of form postings on E-Mail connection issue. That's some sweat in the armpits. I think that understanding could lead to greatly improved relationship with E-Mail.

Note; Try Googling 'Email is dead'. The world of E-Mail has become a SPAM ridden Internet feature. People also are Mobile and are turning towards text and other kinds of messaging.

jgyc430 is offline Sugar Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jsahiri
    Actually, I had a different experience altogether. Was able to download GMAIL messages having configured it for IMAP (SSL, port 993). But SMTP didn't work. Kept getting: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]. Unable to find socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured php? in phpmailer on line 104.

Obviously this can't make sense since ssl works for imap. Also, I uncomented the relevant extension in php.ini. It still didn't make a difference. I saw many other users raising the same issue. But they were having with both imap and smtp, while my case is only smtp.

Hi Jsahiri,

I am facing exactly the same problem as you, ie. IMAP works but SMTP doesnt. Did you find out the solution for this? If yes would you kindly share? Thanks.

sgandhi is offline Sugar Team Member

Did you guys do this ??

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587

This is copied from http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13287

-Samir

dhruvatv is offline Junior Member

I have a slightly different problem with IMAP/SMTP. I've succesfully sent and received emails with the recommended configuration, and my InBox is syncronized, but the emails sent through SugarCRM Versión 5.1.0c (Build 4979) don't appear in GMail's Sent folder. Any help here?

Thank you and regards!

lbaa is offline Junior Member

I managed to set up IMAP with Gmail, and I receive many emails in Arabic - the problem is that Sugar does not read Arabic emails... please advise - how can I resolve this problem. I am using Sugar 5.2

sgandhi is offline Sugar Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by dhruvatv View Post
    I have a slightly different problem with IMAP/SMTP. I've successfully sent and received emails with the recommended configuration, and my InBox is synchronized, but the emails sent through SugarCRM Versión 5.1.0c (Build 4979) don't appear in GMail's Sent folder. Any help here?

Thank you and regards!
    When you created an account, there is a Sent Folder as on of the text box with ta select button. Click on the select button and choose a send folder and in that case sugar will copy every email which has been send out from this account to that chosen Sent Folder

-Samir

Thread Information