Thread: Gmail Outbound email (SMTP)

nathantruant is offline Junior Member

Default Gmail Outbound email (SMTP)

Having a problem with my gmail settings. As far as my inbound settings are concerned everything seems fine. I can receive emails no problem through Sugar. The problem occurs when trying to SEND emails. I have checked, and rechecked my smtp settings and can see NO error. Depending on the smtp.gmail.com port I use I will get 2 different errors.

Port 465 will just hang for a minute and spit out: PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in \sugarcrm\\include\\phpmailer\\class .smtp.php on line 1024

Port 587 appears to send normally but when I go to my sent emails box the email's Type and Status say "Send Error"

Any ideas?

I'm running:
    Apache HTTPD 2.2.4 + Openssl 0.9.8e
    MySQL 5.0.45
    PHP 5.2.3

On a windows Vista machine.

Thanks.

Default Re: Gmail Outbound email (SMTP)

Hi there,

Do a search through these forums for gmail and you'll see lots of entries... I'll bet your issue was covered in one of the previous threads. Also, there's a wiki article on gmail, but it focuses on POP and incoming mail so it may not apply here.
    Susie Williams

nathantruant is offline Junior Member

Susie, thanks for your response. I have searched pretty thoroughly for this issue and can't seem to find one that has an actual answer... The only answer that I found involved editing class.phpmailer.php and that had 0 effect.
    Last edited by nathantruant; 2007-08-31 at 05:29 PM.

ddover is offline Junior Member

I too have been waiting on a solution to this problem. I have been tracking and reading all the posts on ths forum concerning this problem for about 4 weeks now. I have tried everything mentioned and I am still not able to get outbound to work. This is a great product from a great open source community, It blows my mind that no one has been able to fix the problem yet. Well in the mean time I am enjoying the product and give my best thanks to everyone involved making it. Despite this one shortcoming it is still an excellent peice of software.

Danny

ddover is offline Junior Member

Any News on this subject?

scrollinondubs is offline Junior Member

FYI: I can confirm that outbound SMTP using Gmail does in fact work. This thread explains the settings necessary to get it setup -> http://www.sugarcrm.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22307

Sean

roblaus is offline Sugar Community Member

I am afraid but this is not true in my case. I am using IMAP, I've set the SMTP server to SSL with the correct port (993) and all settings are tested successfully. Nonetheless I am unable to connect to the SMTP server when attempting to send an email from Sugar. With other email clients the very same settings work just fine. And so does Sugar with other providers.
    I suspect that my extra secure password may be the culprit. Its 25 digits with numbers and letters mixed but no special characters.

rgds
    rl

Bei Fragen: support@iscon.at
    Die deutschen Sprachdateien für SugarCRM und das deutsche Handbuch 2013 gibt es hier: Deutsche Sprachdateien SugarCRM
    JetMobile lite für Sugar jetzt gratis herunterladen

sgandhi is offline Sugar Team Member

Here is the configuration from gmail. I just tried it and it works fine.

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - requires SSL: imap.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 993
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587
    Account Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com) Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com
    Email Address: your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com) Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com
    Password: your Gmail password

If u r suing SMTP with SSL th eport no given by gmail is 465 or 587 and not 993 as 993 is for incoming. Also, make sure that you have turned on the SMTP authentication and provided the usernamd and password. Also, you have enabled IMAP support on the GMAIL settings page.

Thanks
    -Samir Gandhi

Hi,

Thanks for your efforts, appreciated.
    But since I set up plenty of email accounts and systems during the past 20 years it's not likely that I missed one of the settings (albeit not impossible I have to admit). The best proof is that it does work with other providers.
    As soon as I find the time I will test the scenario with a different user name and password, I still believe that the problem lies with the storage of said long password.
    And I forgot to mention: I did not test with Gmail but with Google Apps. There might be a slight difference although it works the very same way with other email clients.

I also tried to set up my standard Gmail account but after 3 hours I now have 57.000 entries in my email cache and the system started all over again. God (or any compatible higher instance) knows what's going on. Especially because a click on IMAP/All Mails gives 20 mail headers only out of 57.000 - with wrong dates (and no, no further scrolling possible)

rgds
    rl

Die deutschen Sprachdateien für SugarCRM und das deutsche Handbuch 2013 gibt es hier: Deutsche Sprachdateien SugarCRM

OK, I think I found the (this) error.

It seems as if the whole thing does not work if there is more than one SMTP host defined. (I did not (and will not) test whether this is only valid for Gmail hosts or others or it is a general issue).
    I have more than one Google SMTP server set up, simply because Google always writes "on behalf of" the one who sends the message through his account.
    It sounds strange if you get an email that says boss@professional.com on behalf of pussycat69@gmail.com.

However, does anybody know how to delete an SMTP setting in Sugar? I went into the DB but that's not the suggested procedure I guess.

rgds
    rl

Thread Information