Thread: Display different fields in a custom module based on users team (or security level)

PFoley is offline Sugar Community Member

Default Display different fields in a custom module based on users team (or security level)

Is it conceivable to have some fields in a module (or a panel within a module) not displayed unless the user is part of a specific team?

An example of this, is staff records. We want to record public and private staff details within one module, but we not want the private information available to everyone.

Angel is offline Sugar Community Member

Default Re: Display different fields in a custom module based on users team (or security leve

Yes, if you are using Professional or other commercial version, you should be able to control access to those fields by defining the desired rules via Role Management and then assigning that Role to the users you wish to affect.

If you are using Community Edition, you will need to create a custom view with the logic that checks the teams and determines which metadata (fields) should be displayed for the current user.
    Regards,

Angel Magaña
    Technical Solutions Architect
    Co-Author: Implementing SugarCRM 5.x (Packt Publishing -- Sept. 2010)
    Blog: http://cheleguanaco.blogspot.com.
    Twitter: @cheleguanaco.

Default Re: Display different fields in a custom module based on users team (or security leve

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Yes, if you are using Professional or other commercial version, you should be able to control access to those fields by defining the desired rules via Role Management and then assigning that Role to the users you wish to affect.
    Sorry should have mentioned we were using the Pro edition. yes that looks like its going to work for what we need. I'll go have a read up on the roles stuff, thanks for your help.

One last thing, is there a way to by default deny access to a module, and then use the roles to grant access on a user by user basis?
    Or do i have to deny access to the module for every user except the ones who are aloud access to the data.

No, the way most CRM systems work (including Sugar) is that they make all data accessible to all users by default. The reason behind this is that CRM systems are designed to facilitate sharing of information about clients so everyone at your organization knows what is happening with any given account/contact/etc. To lock it down, you have to define roles and assign them to users, much like in the latter part of your comment.
    Regards,

Angel Magaña

yeah I was afraid of that, and from what I read in the support doc's Sugar will take the most restrictive access level to a module/field. So even if we create a default role where every is denied access, any then apply roles for people who should have access, the more restrictive deny role will overwrite it anyway :S

I can see this is going to be a massive job keeping on top of which users should have which roles, and ensuring new users are assigned the correct roles as well.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions? I'm happy to look at modifications to the system, but loath stuff that isn't upgrade safe.

You might want to consider a combination of the Roles and custom views. Coincidentally, custom views would be upgrade safe, so you'll be fine on that front.
    Regards,

Angel Magaña

kir
    kir is offline Sugar Community Member

In community Edition i could create logic hook before_save for new user and set some NewBe role for eny new one. So The role will deny or allow whatever i want to.
    and this is upgrade_safe
    i think something similar can be done in PRO

saj123 Guest

Hi...

Iam using CE, i want to display certain fields according to there roles and teams ... Can anyone help me out how to check the teams and determine the fields ?

Thread Information