Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What developer tools will help you safely customize Sugar?

hoang is offline Sugar Community Member

Default Re: What developer tools will help you safely customize Sugar?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalendrinn
    I know it's an UGLY prospect...but the biggest and best tool to start with is full fledged documentation on the system and it's available functions, api, etc. There are a LOT of questions that can be answered with that available. I can't say that I'm that much better than anyone else, but I've realized that it's a true necessity.

The thing I might suggest to help ease doing documentation is doing something along the lines of phpdoc...comment in the code with phpdoc type comments and let php doc run through it and compile the documentation for you. Or something to that effect anyway.

All the functions and tools in the world are great, but they won't help you if you don't know how to use them. :P
    I second this. Agree completely with everything with Kalengrinn. I'm very much new to CRM and have found it hard getting documentation despite looking into Wiki. I have had to rely on posts and good will from people on forum.
    Great work and big thank you
    Last edited by hoang; 2008-01-24 at 12:40 AM.

mhayhurst is offline Sugar Community Member

Dcoumentation that is authoritative and accurate and clearly indicates what version it relates to.

While there are a good number of resources out there the active community is still fairly small and in some ways quite competitiive. I'm finding it very hard to navigate thru the documentation and when I do find something that is on-topic it's very often impossible to tell whether it relates to the 5.0a release that I am working with. I'm really glad I bought Pro and can get help from Sugar support but I can't help but think it would be more efiicient on them and us if the Wiki etc were more "trustworthy"...

Mark

ptemplin7 is offline Sugar Community Member

I agree with many others. The documentation needs to be cleaned up and the wiki split between info for 4.5 and below and 5.0 and above.

Something that would help those of us less savvy is a better layout of what all the files are, how they work and a more laymans approach to customizing Sugar. While some effort has gone into the Wiki and what is there is pretty good we keep running into things that are wrong, unclear, or just plain don't work even when following the directions. (Hence why my customer has given up on a custom module I was working on, it broke to many things. We found another way to track aside form Sugar.)

It would be nice to clean out the Sugarforge or reorg to get rid of the projects being supported and those that were written years ago.

I echo the need for more examples of how to do various things.

Thanks for the discussion. I'll chime in again when I'm more awake!
    Thanks Paris

SugarDev.net is offline Sugar Community Member

SugarCRM code generated documentation (API): http://www.sugardev.net/API_reference
    Developers go here
    Businesses go there (Dutch)

Modules:
    SugarDev.net Developer Tools | Config | Dutch Language Pack
    "Nothing gets fixed unless there is a bug"

MadSugar is offline Sugar Community Member

I really need a way to make upgrade safe customisations to standard Sugar classes like Meetings and Accounts.

When developing a new module with module builder, two class files are generated by Sugar. For example, when building module Mymodule, the files modules/Mymodules/Mymodule_sugar.php and modules/Mymodules/Mymodule.php are generated.

Mymodule_sugar.php
    PHP Code:
    /**
     * THIS CLASS IS GENERATED BY MODULE BUILDER
     * PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THIS CLASS
     * PLACE ANY CUSTOMIZATIONS IN Mymodule
     */
    class Mymodule_sugar extends Basic {

Mymodule.php
    PHP Code:
    /**
     * THIS CLASS IS FOR DEVELOPERS TO MAKE CUSTOMIZATIONS IN
     */
    require_once('modules/Mymodules/Mymodule.php');
    class 
    Mymodule extends Mymodule_sugar {

Following this principle described above for standard sugar modules, will make it possible to make upgrade safe customisations for specific functions while leaving all other function unchanged.

For example. Suppose I want to display a calculated column in a listview for module Meeting. For this I need to change function get_list_view_data in Meeting.php to calculate the value for the column (which of course also has to be defined in listviewdefs.php). This modification is not upgrade-safe.

Meeting_sugar.php (identical to current Meeting,php except changing the class name form Meeting to Meeting_sugar)
    PHP Code:
    class 
    Meeting_sugar extends SugarBean {  // CHANGED CLASS NAME FORM Meeting TO Meeting_sugar 

.... // All functions currently defined in Meeting.php

Meeting,php (This class should not contain any function when deliverd by Sugar)
    PHP Code:
    /**
     * THIS CLASS IS FOR DEVELOPERS TO MAKE CUSTOMIZATIONS IN
     */
    require_once('modules/Meetings/Meeting_sugar.php');
    class 
    Meeting extends Meeting_sugar {
       function 
    get_list_view_data() {

$meeting_fields parent::get_list_view_data();

// ADDITIONAL PROCESSING TO CALCULATE MY COLUMN

return $meeting_fields;
       }

As a developer I don't need to change Meeting_sugar.php. Modifications to Meeting_sugar.php, made by Sugar can now be safely upgraded (assuming Sugar will not modify the new Meeting.php).

clint is offline SugarCRM CTO & Co-founder

This is the very class model we are moving the entire app to over the next couple 5.0 releases. We will be there soon enough.
    Sugar Developer Zone - developer resources | Sugar University - user and admin training
    Sugar Docs - user and admin documentation |
    Sugar Bug Tracker - Enter or view bugs
    SugarForge- open source modules, themes, lang packs | SugarExchange - commercial extensions

Clint Oram
    Chief Technology Officer and Co-founder
    SugarCRM

SugarDev.net is offline Sugar Community Member

That's very good news, clint.
    Developers go here
    Businesses go there (Dutch)

Modules:
    SugarDev.net Developer Tools | Config | Dutch Language Pack
    "Nothing gets fixed unless there is a bug"

MadSugar is offline Sugar Community Member

I'm looking forward to it.,,

ruchida is offline A Sugar Hero | Help Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by clint
    This is the very class model we are moving the entire app to over the next couple 5.0 releases. We will be there soon enough.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it too! That's what a developer likes to have.

dasho is offline Sugar Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ptemplin7
    I agree with many others. The documentation needs to be cleaned up and the wiki split between info for 4.5 and below and 5.0 and above.

Something that would help those of us less savvy is a better layout of what all the files are, how they work and a more laymans approach to customizing Sugar. While some effort has gone into the Wiki and what is there is pretty good we keep running into things that are wrong, unclear, or just plain don't work even when following the directions. (Hence why my customer has given up on a custom module I was working on, it broke to many things. We found another way to track aside form Sugar.)

It would be nice to clean out the Sugarforge or reorg to get rid of the projects being supported and those that were written years ago.

I echo the need for more examples of how to do various things.
    I just would like to emphasize again the need for more referencies, howto-s, etc. As a developer, I would like to be
    able to do everything myself, without using any studio, modulebuilder, etc. They are nice, but they will never offer the
    flexibility that coding thing yourself has. Besides, if something goes wrong and they don't work for one reason or another,
    I am not able to fix it manually, because I don't know how things work. So, I agree with the others that having some referencies
    and howto-s would be very useful.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information